Saturday, August 17, 2013

Across the Great Plains

We left our friends the Sorensons on Saturday the 17, bound for Theodore Roosevelt NP. It is a beautiful, rugged badlands area, where the rock formations have been eroded from the surrounding flatlands. The cliffs with their bands of colorful rocks, open green meadows and the Little Missouri River make for lovely views. We listened to a ranger (visualize William Macy in "Fargo") give a talk about the CCC projects in the park and the history of the CCC. Very interesting, though I kept wanting to finish his sentences for him since he spoke so slowly and sparingly. It was HOT. Thayer had me scampering along the road to take pictures of buffalo, funny how he would drive off just as the animals started staring at me and making huffing, grunting noises at me. Not funny. I tried to bring home a nice concretion to add to my rock collection but it just wouldn't budge and Thayer wouldn't help me.

I want this rock!

P1090451

We drove up to Lake Sacagawea St. Park for the night, beautiful and a little cooler. 
 
The next day we were up early and headed across the plains in a serious way. It is very flat, and very agricultural. When we got tired of looking at wheat we were refreshed by the sight of corn or sunflowers or an occasionally herd of cows. We pulled into tiny Sykeston, just for a fun photo with my namesake town. Ralph, from the cafe, quickly came out to greet us and invited us in for breakfast, home cooked and delicious, he assured me. We ordered up some eggs and carmel/cinnamon rolls as the locals started arriving after church. We met lots of nice people, including John and Rosemary, former Rialta owners and 15 years of RVing experience behind them. They are residents of Florida who "homestead" in ND during the summer. They were excited to see the rig and share their many stories. When I went to pay the bill John had already paid for our meal! It was a very fun stop! (wish I'd ordered another roll!) Turns out that the town cafe is supported by the "town fathers" because it is not profitable in any way. They support the cafe with funds and time. 

 

P1090542



2 comments: